Wednesday, January 14, 2009

January 14th- Bananas Foster Pie

 


I thought I was so creative when I came up with the idea for a bananas foster pie. Google disagrees. Apparently, it’s supposed to be a cream pie. I can’t seem to find vegan cool whip or vegan whipped cream anymore. I have a carton and a half of soy whip, but I don’t know what I’ll do when that’s gone! Anyway, after reading through the standard recipes, I decided to go ahead and make it the way I imagined. I couldn’t find my usual bananas foster recipe, so I based it off this site. I changed the crust from another Killer Pies recipe. I decided to try a crust with equal parts shortening and earth balance to see what the difference would be.

Crust:
2 ½ c flour
1/2c shortening (EB brand)
1/2c earth balance
1 T sugar
1T egg replacer
5/8c ice water

As I have been doing with all crusts lately, I blended it in the food processor with everything except for the water until it gets crumbly. Then I slowly pulse in the water. I pat it out to two disks and refridgerate for as long as my patience allows (an hour ideally).

Filling:
3 bananas, cut once along the full length and then into thirds.
1c walnuts, chopped (I would have used pecans, but I didn’t want to go out in the cold again)
1/4c earth balance, melted
1c brown sugar
1/4c rum
1/4c water
1/2t cinnamon

Instructions:
Lined up bananas in crust. Sprinkled walnuts on bananas. Mixed all other ingredients in the food processor and poured on top. Baked at 375F until the crust is brown. By the way, I’m just baking until the crust is brown because I’m lazy and don’t know a better way to do it.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: