Saturday, January 10, 2009

January 10th- Boston Cream Pie Pie

Warning: One lie exists in the following text.

Danielle with the Boston Cream Pie Pie


Slice of pie sent home to Zach, with an orange for scale

Boston Cream Pie is not actually a pie- it is a cake. I made a Boston Cream Pie for Cake-A-Day, so for Pie-A-Day, I decided to make a Boston Cream Pie Pie. It has a fairly thin layer of cake at the bottom for the crust. Then there is a thick layer of Boston cream, followed by a layer of ganache.

With the help of Dave, Dan, Dom, and Danielle (my posse of D's), we made a very large pie. I meant to go to a party tonight so I thought I needed extra pie, but with plenty of stuff to do around the house, it became late really fast. While the pie was chilling, we watched Waitress. I learned that I'm wasting valuable time not speculating about kinds of pies. And my names need more creativity!

Here's the recipe:
Cake crust: 1 cake batch from the Horizon's Cookbook strawberry shortcake recipe. You should own this cookbook, so I don't need to violate any copyright laws.
Spread the batter on a fairly large cake pan (14inch?). Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes (complete guess).

Cream: 4x batch veganized (and otherwise remade) pastry cream from Wilton Tiered Cakes
1 1/2c sugar
3/4c flour
2t salt
6c soy milk
1/2c egg replacer
4t vanilla
1/4c corn starch
1/8t turmeric (for color)

Instructions: Book on the stove top until it thickens and boils (pudding style). Place on top of slightly cooled cake

Ganache: 3x batch (should have made more) veganized from this recipe. This is my favorite ganache recipe because it used cocoa powder instead of bakers chocolate. I found it during Cake-A-Day, then lost it for a long time, then figured out the right search terms to find it again. I'm so glad! It's really kind of magical. You'll see in the instructions.
9T water
6T Earth balance
3/4c cocoa powder
3c powdered sugar
(There's supposed to be 1 1/2t vanilla at the end, but I forgot)

Instructions: Place cocoa in the food processor (or bowl with electric beater). Boil water and EB on the stove top. Pour into the food processor and mix. The cocoa will form a solidish ball. Add the sugar and it will magically become a fantastic liquid. Add the vanilla if you don't forget. Quickly spread on the top of the pie. Hopefully you were wise enough to let the filling cool before you attempt this. I would never forget and end up having to slowly spread the ganache over smooshy Boston cream. That would be foolish.

Chill the pie as long as you can go without eating it.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: