Wednesday, January 14, 2009

January 13th- Pie Am a Rock

 

Quaker Dan requested a pie in the theme of a Simon and Garfunkel song. This pie, based on I Am a Rock, is a twist on a blueberry pie. The blueberries represent a body of water. There is a slice of mango to represent an island (Pie am an island?) and a half kiwi (with skin) to represent a rock. There is also a lego man covered in tin foil. If he could talk, he would surely say “I am shielded in my armor” or, if he was in a bad mood, “I have no need for friendship. Friendship causes pain.”

Crust:
2 ½c flour
1c earth balance
3/4c ice water
(I accidentally put in 1 ½t salt. You’re only supposed to add that if you’re using unsalted butter! I said the crust was salty like the sea. Luckily, it only tasted salty before it was baked.)

Filling:
Remainder of mango and kiwi cubed and sprinkled on the bottom of the crust
All else mixed together and placed in crust on top of mango/kiwi cubes:
1 ½ lb blueberries
Zest and juice of one lemon
1/2c sugar
1/2c? flour

Baked at 375F until crust was brown
Posted by Picasa

No comments: